NOTICE: CHANGE in location for the Concealed Carry classes.
New Location – New Time.
United States Shooting Academy
6500 E. 66th Street North
Tulsa OK, 74117.
For this location the classes start at 9 a.m.
Exit Hwy 75 at 66th Street North and go East about two miles until you come to the Tulsa Police Academy. United States Shooting Academy is to Southeast of the Tulsa Police Academy.
NOTE: There are two driveways. A paved driveway into the Tulsa Police Academy and USSA, then a second driveway a little further on that is gravel that leads to the Tulsa County Sheriff. Take the first or paved driveway then go to your left for the entrance to USSA. Proceed to the tan stucco and rock club house for the classes.
Oklahoma Handgun License Class.
(Formerly named “Concealed Carry Classes”)
Gun Sales, Concealed Carry Classes are on the rise in Green Country.
Please check out this story from the News On 6:
- See calander for class dates.
- OK Handgun License Cost at Firearms On Target:
- Cost –
- $55 if you shoot your gun and ammo.
- $60 if you shoot Firearms On Target’s gun and ammo.
- Tulsa Gun Club Member – $45. Please put “TGC Member’ in the Message section. In the Extras/Discount section use the pop down window to select the “Military orTGC Member Discount (-$15)” to bring your cost to $45.
- Military – Active or discharged (within the last 20 years) – $45. PLEASE READ THE “Military Exempt” section below to verify that you qualify. Please put ‘Military’ in the Message section. The cost starts at $60, apply the $15 discount in the Extras/Discount section -pop down window, “Military or TGC Member Discount (-$15)” which will bring your total cost to $45.
Use the Online Reservation Calendar to secure your seat in one of our classes. Classes are booking fast! Available dates are in Green.
- Select the Calendar for the class you wish to attend.
Click on one of dates in green. The number of remaining seats for class is displayed under the price of each class date.
- In the “No. book items” box, select the number of attendees for class you are purchasing reservations for.
- In the “Extras” section, if a discount applies to you, select it from the list.
- Fill out the Contact Information.
- Click the “BOOK NOW” button to proceed to checkout.
You will be directed to a secure payment portal, which sends you a confirmation email and receipt.
OK Handgun License Classes will be held on Saturdays, Sundays, and Weekdays at the Tulsa Gun Club, 8888 E. Mohawk Blvd North, Tulsa. I will also teach the class per special requests, i.e. let me know when and where it would be convenient for your group. Ask me about the ‘Group Discount’. Classes are 8:00 am – 5:00 pm with an hour for lunch.
THREE FREE PISTOL RANGE PASSES: You will receive THREE FREE – all day- range passes/person to shoot your pistol (a $30 value).
This class is taught by Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation (O.S.B.I.) and Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training (C.L.E.E.T.) certified instructor(s). The course is as prescribed by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act (Title 21, Oklahoma Statues, Section 1290.1 et seq.) to meet the educational requirements to qualify for an Oklahoma Handgun License.
Upon completion of this course you will be eligible to apply for a OK Handgun License allowing you to carry a handgun either as “open carry” or “concealed carry” (your handgun license works for both ‘open’ or ‘concealed carry’) in the State of Oklahoma and all other reciprocal states within the United States. This one day class is designed to familiarize you with the laws of the Self Defense Act and teach you handgun safety as prescribed by Oklahoma. Successful completion of this course is achieved when the participant has accomplished all practical exercises to the satisfaction of the instructor and has scored a minimum of 70% on a fifteen question multiple choice exam.
Each student will be required to fire two (2) courses of fire resulting in a total of fifty (50) rounds to qualify. Reloaded or re-manufactured ammunition is not permitted for this course.
As developed by C.L.E.E.T., this is a eight (8) hour class. Any instructor advertising a shorter class, like three or four class, is leaving out material. A person needs to understand the Self Defense Act and when you can use a handgun for self-defense. BE ADVISED – less than a full understanding of this law could expose you to a prison sentence. This training is too serious to take a short cut.
MILITARY EXEMPT– Current military or honorably discharged military (within the last 20 years) – class cost = $45. You are only required to attend the section on the class covering the OK Self Defense Act. This section could be over before or after lunch. You are not required to attend the sections on: 1.) The ‘Safety Module’, 2.) Take the test, or 3.) Qualify at the range. If you choose to stay for the entire class and shoot at the range, the full cost of the class will apply.
Firearms On Target does not need to see any Military paper work.
CLEET EXEMPT – certified armed security officer, armed guard, correctional officer, or any other person having a CLEET certification to carry a firearm in the course of their employment.
Double click here for a Reciprocity Map.
Enter a state to see which other states allow Handgun Carry.
WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING:
- Paper and pen and your drivers license.
- Bring your handgun and at least 50 rounds of ammo or you can qualify with my .22 caliber handgun and ammo for an additional $5. DO NOT BRING ANY AMMUNITION INTO THE CLASSROOM. DOING SO WILL RESULT IN IMMEDIATE REMOVAL FROM THE CLASSROOM WITHOUT REFUND.
- Eye and Ear protection (if you don’t have them I will furnish them).
- A baseball type hat with a bill.
- Dress for the weather as we will be outside for about 40 minutes for the range qualification. Wear a shirt with a high neck collar, such as a T-shirt. I have a covered range and a wood stove. So we can keep out of the rain and stay warm.
- Beverage and snacks or you can buy them at the range.
Oklahoma Self Defense Act (this is the OK law you will learn)
SDA application (this will give you a hardcopy to fill out):
OR, you can fill out your application ONLINE.
Please do not call after 5 pm the day prior to your scheduled class. Please take care of any information you need during the week prior to your class. All the information you need is either in the Documents Page that popped up after you registered or on this web site – see the FAQ section on this page. Thanks.
What is the process to obtain my license?
First, take the OK Handgun License course from Firearms On Target.
Second, after successful completion of the Oklahoma Handgun License course your instructor will hand you a Certificate of Achievement. Take three items to the County Sheriff office in the county that you live in. #1. Self Defense License Application, #2. Your Certificate of Completion, #3. Money. (see below)
Requirements for Applying for a Self Defense Act License at the Tulsa County Sheriff’s Office.
- In order to complete the application process through the Tulsa County Sheriff’s Office (“TCSO”), the applicant must appear in person and be a resident of Tulsa County.
- A current Oklahoma driver’s license or other official Oklahoma ID will be required. Exception:Military personnel who have permanent military orders within the state of Oklahoma and possess a valid driver license from another state where such person claims residency.
- If born outside of the United States, proof of citizenship is required.
- A completed Application for Self-Defense Act License. The application may be completed online or you may download a blank copy of the form here. OSBI will only accept applications submitted on the current SDA application form. Remember to sign your application.
- Attach two color passport style photographs to your application. Personally printed photos must be passport quality to be acceptable. TCSO provides photo service for $10.00.
- The original certificate of completion from a firearms safety and training course must accompany the SDA application. State law requires that applicants for a license to carry concealed and unconcealed firearms pass an Oklahoma Self-Defense Act gun-safety course. Previously, no limits have been placed on the life of a firearms-safety course certificate of coimpletion, but a new law (Oklahoma HB 2874) that went into effect November 1, 2014 puts a three-year limit on gun class certification of completion.
- Two complete sets of fingerprints will be taken by TCSO Records personnel.
- TCSO will send the complete application package to OSBI for processing; allow 60-90 days for the application process.
Fees charged by the Tulsa County Sheriff’s Office.
|Tulsa County Sheriff’s Office Fees||Amount|
|Fingerprinting and processing fee||$25|
|Pictures (if needed):||$10|
|A credit card* or, a money order or cashier’s check made payable to “Tulsa County Sheriff’s Office”, are acceptable forms of payment for the fees for services provided by TCSO.
* A convenience fee of $1.95 will be added to credit card transactions. Neither TCSO nor Tulsa County government receives any portion of the convenience fee.
Fees required by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation.
(Paid at your visit at the County Sheriff’s Office)
|Type of License Application||Term||Cost|
|Initial Application||5 Year License||$100|
|10 Year License||$200|
|Expired Renewal Application
(License expired less than 3 years)
|5 Year License||$85|
|10 Year License||$170|
|Expired Renewal Application
(License expired more than 3 years)
|5 Year License||$100|
|10 Year License||$200|
|Acceptable forms of payment include Money Orders, Cashier’s Checks and credit cards. (Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover).
PERSONAL CHECKS, BUSINESS CHECKS AND CASH ARE NOT ACCEPTED BY OSBI.
Do I need to bring my OK Handgun License application to the OK Handgun Lic class conducted by Firearms On Target?
You are not required to bring the application. But, I would bring it as I will point out a couple of things that will help you.
Must I fill any forms prior to class?
NO. Ther are no forms to fill out prior to coming to my OK Handgun License class. You are not required to fill out the OK Handgun License application prior to class BUT you can if you want to.
Do I need to have my pictures with me when I come to the OK Handgun License class conducted by Firearms On Target?
NO. You only need to have your pictures when you go to the county sheriff’s office or in Tulsa county, they will take your pictures for you.
What time is your class?
We start at 8 am SHARP and end between 4 – 5 pm depending on class size. Being late could cause your disqualification from attending the class. No refund, No Certificate, No License. Please be on time! DO NOT USE YOUR GPS. USE THE DIRECTIONS ON THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE THAT I HAVE FURNISHED YOU WHEN YOU REGISTERED OR THE ‘DIRECTIONS’ TAB ON THIS WEB SITE. IF YOU DO KNOW KNOW WHERE THE TULSA GUN CLUB IS LOCATED, THEN I WOULD SUGGEST YOU DO SOME RESEARCH PRIOR TO COMING TO THE CLASS. DON’T CALL ME AT 8:30 AM ON A CLASS DAY, AND TELL ME THAT YOUR GPS CANNOT FIND THE CLASS. DO NOT USE YOUR GPS. USE THE DIRECTIONS PAGE ON THIS SITE.
What about lunch?
We will take an hour break for lunch. There are several choices for lunch a close distance to the club.
Should I fill out my application online vs. filling out a paper version? – Maybe.
There are two paths regarding filling out the OK Handgun License application.
#1). Starting November 1, 2014, the state has requested that you fill out your application online and transmit this document to the state.
#2) Download the Application, and fill it out.
If you choose #2: You turn the OK Handgun License application into the County Sheriff, not to Firearms On Target at class time. Please bring the application to the class, I will point out a couple of helpful points.
http://www.ok.gov/osbi/Handgun_Licensing/Click_Here_to_Apply_Online.html”. You will still have to go to the county sheriff to complete the process.
How accurate to I have to be for the shooting portion? We shoot at 9 to 15 feet. You are judged on your ability to safely handle a handgun and follow the instructor’s commands.
How physical is the class? We are in a classroom setting for the majority of the class. For the shooting portion, you will need to be able to shoot 50 rounds either standing or sitting.
What is the class like? I teach you the most applicable statutes of the OK Self Defense Act and most importantly the conditions that have to be present before you can legally pull or use a handgun for self defense. I try to keep the class moving and we take frequent short breaks.
Do I need eye and ear protection? Yes, either bring your own or I will furnish them for you. You are required to bring a BASEBALL hat or visor for each individual.
What type of handgun to you provide. .22 caliber semi-automatic handguns. They are light with low recoil and fun to shoot.
OR you can rent a variety of .380, 9mm, 40 S&W guns. Just let me know at registration if you want to rent a gun. Shooting different guns always adds to your overall understanding and ability with handguns. Cost is $10 plus ammo.
How do I register for you class? Pre-payment and registration are required. Do not come to the class without first registering. First determine the date of the class you wish to attend, then pre-pay for the class. By;
- Web site, the calendar registration and payment option.
- Call 918.857.5106 or email me and I can email you an invoice.
- Pay over the phone. Call me and I can take your payment and reserve a spot in the class for you.
Payment can me made with Credit card, Debit Card, or PayPal.
After I have received your payment, you will receive a Confirmation of Payment Received document and instructions about the class.
How long does it take to receive my license from the state. At this time, Dec., 2015, licenses are being mailed to the address on your application withing 30-40 days or less of you turning in your information at the county sheriff’s office. A student informed me that it took 17 days to get her license. Now is a great time to take the class and get your license.
What if I have a ‘Permanent Victim’s Protective Order’? As of November 1, 2013, after you take my OK Handgun License class, if you have a Permanent Victim’s Protective Order, the sheriff can issue you a six month temporary license, at no cost to you, while your permanent license paperwork is being processed by the state.
How can I transport my gun to your class? Place your gun in a ‘gun case’ and the case must be completely or partially visible in your passenger compartment. OR place the gun in your trunk or locked external compartment. Gun must be unloaded. Do not place your gun in your glove compartment or center console.
Where are you located? See the ‘Directions’ tab on this site. DO NOT use your GPS to find this location. It WILL take you to the wrong location by several miles. One mile north of the Tulsa International Airport. One half mile west of Mingo and Mohawk Blvd North on Mohawk Blvd North. (On the east side of Mingo the road is called 56th St. North. On the west side of Mingo, the road is called Mohawk Blvd North.) You will see a blue sign saying Tulsa Gun Club and a blue gate at the entrance of the club.
What if my schedule changes and I cannot make the class? You can reschedule for up to six (6) months from your original class date if you contact me by at least twenty four hours prior to the class start date and time.
Can the people in my party share a gun? If you bring your gun and ammo, more than one person IN YOUR PARTY can shoot this gun. Some people who come together share a gun, this is OK. No third party will shoot your gun.
What if I need to leave early? Contact me and I will work to see you shoot first at the range and get out asap. To obtain your Certificate, you will need to complete the following modules: class, safety, test, and range qualification but I can lessen the time you spend on the range.
What if I have a large party, do you do discount? Discounts for a large party will be considered. Give me a call.
Do you conduct your classes other than Saturday, Sunday, or Wednesday? Yes, let me know which day would work for your group and I can schedule a class. A minimum of 6 people is needed for a class. Extra charges may apply.
Class Size is Limited. Pre-Registration is required, so register and pre-pay to reserve your seat in the class.
Does it matter which handgun I qualify with?
First of all, there is a caliber limitation and size limitation and other limitations per state law that are applicable to this class and carry.
Regarding calibers. The gun your carry and the gun you qualify with must be at the largest a .45 ACP caliber or of a smaller caliber. That means you can qualify with any caliber up to a .45 ACP, i.e. .380, 9mm, 40, .45, etc.
Next, if you qualify with a semi-auto, then your license will read that your can carry a ) semi-auto, 2) revover 3) derringer.
If you qualify with a REVOLVER, then your license will say that you can only carry a revolver or a derringer.
For Example: You could qualify with a .40 S&W M&P Service size semi-auto, then choose to carry a .380 Ruger PCP. You could qualify with a .22 semi-auto and carry a 9mm semi-auto.
I would advise that you qualify with a semi-auto and not a revovler. That way your license has no action-type restrictions.
I my opinion it matters a great deal which gun you range qualify with in terms of your safety and liability. First of all, if you ever need to use your gun in a self defense shooting, your handgun training and knowledge of your gun will come under attack at a trial. Are you a compentent, knowledgeable, and a responsible gun owner, one who practices often with their gun? Or, do you leave it in a box and never shoot it. So, shoot your gun as much as you can, once a month, and use the OK Handgun License Class as an opportunity to shoot your gun and obtain more familiarization with your gun. This might be a big thing if you ever find yourself defending your use of a gun in a court. I would advise that you keep a written shooting/range record.
Is the gun I range qualify with at your class the gun that I must carry?
NO. The gun that you range qualify with at my class with has no barring as to what gun you can carry with your handgun license. Remember the .45 ACP caliber or less restriction.
See the ‘Directions Tab’ for directions to the Tulsa Gun Club:
Concealed Carry Owasso
Concealed Carry Skiatook
Concealed Carry Claremore